In the wake of more mass shootings in cities across the nation, there is a rising anxiety and uncertainty among many, wondering if anyone is truly safe. Big city violence is now coming to small rural towns and fears are mounting. Whether these attacks come from terrorists, home-grown criminals, or desperate prodigals with a point to prove, violence is on the rise. But, now is the not the time to give in to this fear! Rather, we must press into prayer and raise up even more local prayer watches to blanket our cities with intercession.
The powers of the air recognize that the prayers of the saints have been getting through to the throne! Our intercession has been filling the bowls and stirring heaven to come to the earth and the enemy knows it. The reality is that God is about to pour out His glory across the earth, bringing the true FEAR OF THE LORD upon this land and Hell is running scared. All the powers of darkness are about to be exposed for what they truly are. They are making a last ditch effort to release a demonic TERROR in hopes that we will be distracted and give in to a fear that is not of God. Where the Fear of Lord is heaven-sent to awaken our spirits to the majesty and holiness of God, the Terror of Hell seeks to destroy our faith and kill our purpose and destiny. What we see happening in many of these horrific attacks is the devil’s preemptive attack to the Fear of the Lord that is coming. But, we can do something about it.
We must stand by those who are suffering from these attacks with our love, support, and prayers. But, we must also take our positions in the watch towers of our own communities for the days ahead. We must take the offense in securing our cities for the Kingdom by praying with others in agreement for the spiritual and natural protection of the Lord. Our corporate alignment is key if we are to secure our cities and establish spiritual walls of protection that the enemy can’t penetrate. We must pray for God’s presence to become a wall of fire around our communities and for the fear of the Lord to permeate every street in our neighborhood.
“And I will be to her a wall of fire all around, declares the Lord, and I will be the glory in her midst.’” (Zechariah 2:5 ESV)
No government can adequately protect us. No legislation can guarantee our safety. Not even a President can provide the protection that is truly needed from heaven’s perspective. It is only when we humble ourselves together before the throne of grace and lift up His banner over our communities in oneness of heart and mind, that our boundaries will be secure from the demonic forces that seek to steal, kill and destroy. I urge you to join with other believers around you and BUILD THAT WALL OF FIRE AROUND YOUR CITY!
Here is a simple PRAYER GUIDE that you can use for your own community as you stand with others on the wall of intercession.
Lift up praise and worship over the city.
“Extol the Lord, Jerusalem; praise your God, Zion. He strengthens the bars of your gates and blesses your people within you” (Psalm 147:12-13).
- Magnify the name of Jesus above all other names (Luke 10:17; Phil 2:9-11).
- Declare His Lordship in your community and region (2 Kings 19:19; Psalm 50:23).
- Read psalms of praise to displace any voices of darkness (Psalm 33, 35, 65, and 67).
Declare your home and community to be a dwelling place for God’s Presence.
“‘And I myself will be a wall of fire around it,’ declares the Lord, ‘and I will be its glory within” (Zechariah 2:5).
- Celebrate the light of His Presence which brings strength and favor (Psalm 89:15-17).
- Praise Him for His Presence which disarms the enemy (Psalm 31:20; Exodus 33:14).
- Thank God for His Presence which prevents any deception or falsehood from taking hold (Psalm 101:7).
- Invite the fear of the Lord to rest upon your community (Psalm 34:7; Isaiah 8:13-14).
Call for unity in the church and oneness of spirit among spiritual leaders.
“Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one” (John 17:11).
- Pray that the hearts of leaders would be drawn together by a oneness of spirit (Ephesians 4:16; Galatians 3:26-28).
- Pray that doctrinal differences would give way to demonstrating the power of the gospel (2 Chronicles 30:12; 1 Corinthians 1:10).
- Pray that a unified voice would arise from the city, reflecting the Father’s heart and will (Romans 15:5-6).
- Pray that believers would be drawn together in the power of covenant community (Acts 18:9-10).
Disarm any plans of the enemy to cause harm or injury to people or property.
“Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s” (2 Chronicles 20:15).
- Declare God’s righteous boundaries around the city (Psalm 31:20; Jeremiah 5:22).
- Renounce (refuse to recognize) and cancel any threats of harm or property damage (Isaiah 63:9; Luke 4:28-30).
- Pray that communications of the enemy would be confused and canceled (Jeremiah 20:11-12; Psalm 55:9-10).
- Counter negative words or curses spoken with the promises of God (Psalm 109:26-31; 2 Corinthians 10:2-6).
Declare that the light of Truth will dispel any darkness and expose the lies.
“In Him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it” (John 1:4-5).
- Bless the city with an increased awareness of His Presence and truth which dispels darkness (Psalm 36:9).
- Pray that those who oppose God’s heart and ways would encounter Jesus (Acts 8:12-13).
- Pray that counterfeits would be exposed, bringing the fear of the Lord (Acts 19:14-17).
- Pray that every evil practice would collide with Truth and Life (Acts 8:4-8).
Speak God’s blessings and protection over transportation and communication lines.
“The Lord will grant that the enemies who rise up against you will be defeated before you. They will come at you from one direction but flee from you in seven” (Deuteronomy 28:7).
- Pray protection over city streets and citizens young and old (Psalm 121:8; Proverbs 10:9).
- Bless the roadways and highways with the holiness of God (Isaiah 35:8-10).
- Declare the roadways consecrated unto the Lord to bring wandering souls back to Him (Jeremiah 50:5).
Pray for the Word of God and message of the cross to be shared with power.
“For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict…Everyone will hate you because of me. But not a hair of your head will perish. Stand firm, and you will win life” (Luke 21:15, 17-19).
- Declare that the power of God’s Word and anointing of the Holy Spirit would disarm the adversary (Acts 6:9-10; 2 Thessalonians 1:5-7).
- Pray for boldness to declare the truth of the gospel (Acts 4:29-31; Philippians 1:14).
- Pray that the Spirit of truth would be proclaimed and heard (John 16:13-14).
- Declare the favor of God on those who preach and teach the Word of God (Acts 17:16-17, 32).
Thank God for His delivering power in defeating all His enemies.
“You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world” (1 John 4:4).
*For a PDF version of this Prayer Guide to print out, click here: PRAYER GUIDE FOR SPIRITUAL PROTECTION OVER CITIES