In this week’s post, I’m sharing the TEACHING OUTLINE from my latest video on this subject. I want you to be armed with clear biblical principles to not only detect false messengers and messages, but to rightly respond to them. Given the increase of exposures of well-known public figures, we need to set some scriptural ground rules.
Watch my video by clicking on the picture below. (A Rumble version will also soon be available on my Rumble Channel). There is also a PDF version of the outline HERE that you can download and freely copy.
TEACHING OUTLINE FOR RECOGNIZING FALSE PROPHETS AND FALSE TEACHERS
WHAT DO WE LOOK FOR?
- Our first problem is correctly identifying WHO is TRULY FALSE.
- Divisions are occurring because we’re “calling out” anybody and everybody!
1 Corinthians 3:2-4 – And even now you are not yet ready, for you are still of the flesh. For while there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not of the flesh and behaving only in a human way? For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not being merely human?
FOLLOW UP FROM LAST VIDEO (“GETTING ANNOYED”)
And this she kept doing for many days. Paul, having become greatly annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her.” And it came out that very hour. (Acts 16:18 ESV)
- Two applications of Paul’s actions:
- Deliverance of an individual that is in bondage – Understand Deliverance Ministry
- DEREK PRINCE VIDEO: The Basics of Deliverance, PART 1
- DEREK PRINCE VIDEO: The Basics of Deliverance, PART 2
- Paul confronted the demon because the demon was trying to INFILTRATE THE CHURCH
- Calling out the spiritual handlers/demons behind the scenes. (This will be our focus here).
- Deliverance of an individual that is in bondage – Understand Deliverance Ministry
- BIBLICAL DISTINCTIONS between FALSE Teachers/Prophets and COUNTERFEIT messages:
- The world will react from their flesh. There’s a higher standard for those in the Church.
- We’re letting the world lead and they don’t have the same biblical worldview!
- If the Church gets it right – others will follow.
Where “counterfeit” is mentioned in Scripture:
As for you, the anointing you received from Him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as His anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in Him. (I John 2:27 NIV)
- The “anointing” is what is counterfeit – contrived, self-made, fake.
- Is it scripturally accurate?
- Does it bear weight in the Spirit?
- Does it produce the works of Jesus?
- Non-believers don’t have this!
- RESPONSE: DON’T LISTEN
WHAT IS FALSE?
Psalm 27:12 – Give me not up to the will of my adversaries; for false witnesses have risen against me, and they breathe out violence.
- False witnesses seek violence, vengeance, punishment, even death.
- Political hacks and secular zealots are exhibiting this in increasing measure.
- Typical of those who constantly point fingers, accuse everyone else, shift the blame.
Proverbs 11:1 – A false balance is an abomination to the Lord, but a just weight is His delight.
- An unjust scale; a manipulated truth; an unfair advantage. The 2020 election!
- Those who lower or change the standards to benefit their bias. Hypocrites.
CHARACTERISTICS OF FALSE PROPHETS:
- The main point to gather from these scriptures is that a false prophet is known by the state of their heart and source of their intel, much more than the accuracy of their prophecies.
Jeremiah 23:13-14 – In the prophets of Samaria I saw an unsavory thing: they prophesied by Baal and led my people Israel astray. But in the prophets of Jerusalem I have seen a horrible thing: they commit adultery and walk in lies; they strengthen the hands of evildoers, so that no one turns from his evil; all of them have become like Sodom to me, and its inhabitants like Gomorrah.
- Their source is Satan, and their goal is to lead people astray.
- They have immoral character and purposely lie.
(vs 16-17) “Do not listen to the words of the prophets who prophesy to you, filling you with vain hopes. They speak visions of their own minds, not from the mouth of the Lord. They say continually to those who despise the word of the Lord, ‘It shall be well with you’; and to everyone who stubbornly follows his own heart, they say, ‘No disaster shall come upon you.’”
- Witchcraft starts as works of the flesh – creating words out of their imaginations.
- Appease those opposed to God, hoping to gain a reputation.
- This is not about giving a WRONG prophecy – but a TAINTED one.
(vs 26-27) How long shall there be lies in the heart of the prophets who prophesy lies, and who prophesy the deceit of their own heart, who think to make my people forget my name by their dreams that they tell one another, even as their fathers forgot my name for Baal?
- A false prophet is purposely drawing people AWAY from the Lord.
- They are deceived themselves, and thus speak from a spirit of deception.
Ezekiel 13:9 – My hand will be against the prophets who see false visions and who give lying divinations. They shall not be in the council of My people, nor be enrolled in the register of the house of Israel, nor shall they enter the land of Israel. And you shall know that I am the Lord God.
- Empty, vain, untrue, made-up.
- Coming from the dark side – the devil – not just the flesh.
- Not the same as incomplete or immature prophetic interpretation.
Matthew 7:15 – Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will recognize them by their fruits.
- Purposely camouflage themselves to fit in, but with ulterior motives.
- Fruit should produce the works of Jesus, mature the saints, and help the weak.
- Different than someone who is simply immature, shallow, compromised in their faith, or doctrinally weak (lack of proper biblical foundation).
WHAT DO WE JUDGE?
1 Corinthians 14:29 – Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said.
1 John 4:1 – Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.
- Human spirit, Holy spirit, or demonic spirit.
LINK: HOW TO JUDGE PROPHECY (Article by Derek Prince)
WE ARE TO WEIGH THE WORD AND TEST THE SPIRIT – NOT JUDGE THE PERSON
- If the person is deceived – they need freedom!
- If they are immature – they need guidance!
- If they are wrong – they need to be accountable to those who know them.
- Old Testament prophets were stoned because no one else had the Spirit within with which to test and weigh. God had to publicly judge them. After Pentecost, we all have the Spirit with which to test for ourselves.
Ephesians 5:11 – Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them (teach what is right).
1 Thessalonians 5:19-21 – Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good.
CHARACTERISTICS OF FALSE TEACHERS:
1 Timothy 1:3-4 – Charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine, nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies, which promote speculations rather than the stewardship from God that is by faith.
- Pitting people against each other because of their background, ethnicity, associations, etc.
- Patriot community is creating camps based on who everyone follows (or the narrative).
- Beware of those who constantly point fingers at others, accuse, or mock. Bitter spirit.
2 Peter 2:1-3- But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. And many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed (declare something good to be evil). And in their greed, they will exploit (try to sell you something) you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.
- They will appeal to their flesh – what feels good – justify it because of their zeal.
- Declaring something or someone that is good, evil. Truth is mocked.
- They will manipulate the message for profit.
- Difference between selling a product (at reasonable cost) and selling a lie or exaggeration. (Like the difference between the LOVE OF MONEY versus MONEY).
Colossians 2:8 – See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.
- Delusions – fantasies – things “hoped for.”
- Rules written by men. Coming from a Religious Spirit (“…it’s always been done this way..”)
- Things learned through science, attained knowledge, “the universe,” or “spirit” (not Holy Spirit).
- UFO’s and extraterrestrial (which are manifestations of the demonic realm).
- Drawing from the tree of knowledge of good and evil instead of the tree of life.
- Some Truth Tellers fit in this category. Does this mean they don’t share SOME truth? No – but it’s MIXED. Filter accordingly.
Jude 1:4- For certain people have crept in unnoticed who long ago were designated for this condemnation, ungodly people, who pervert (change) the grace of our God into sensuality (of the flesh) and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.
- GRACE TEACHING – DOCTRINES OF DEVILS
- “Follow your heart.” “Make yourself happy.” “Be your best self.”
GOD WILL DEAL WITH THEM:
2 Peter 2:9 – Then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment until the day of judgment, and especially those who indulge in the lust of defiling passion and despise authority.
- Nowhere does it say to SHAME them, RIDICULE them, or MOCK them!
- Social media is NOT the place to be judge or jury! Accountability starts at home.
- Swearing or foul language isn’t right, but doesn’t necessarily disqualify someone.
RESPONSE TO THE FALSE: “Beware…” “Resist….” “Avoid…”
- Recognize them and avoid them. (Romans 16:17)
- Direct others to the inaccuracy of the message or the spirit behind their message.
- Own your opinion without imposing on others.
- Don’t give them a platform or voice in your church. (2 John 1:10-11)
- Pray for them.
- God will deal with them.
Separate the immature and deceived from the wolves in sheep’s clothing.
(DVD) Prophetic Mentoring Training Course
This video series includes EIGHT HOURS of training to equip believers for prophetic ministry in the local congregation.
This training course was filmed at our home church, Crossroads Community Church, in Winchester, Virginia. Instead of just hosting a conference, we are bringing the conference TO YOU! This video series includes all the sessions in our…